[Openstack-docs] Linking to external install guides

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Jul 11 14:33:58 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

For RDO the current plan is (as I understand it) to provide RPMs for each of the Havana milestones and update installation instructions on the Wiki at http://openstack.redhat.com as we go, this generally provides a bare bones guide to getting up and running using the PackStack utility. RDO users that want more flexible deployments currently tend to head to http://docs.openstack.org/ (or at least that is my impression from watching the forums and ask.openstack.org) which is why I want to help with improving the installation guides there for users of Fedora and EL-based distributions.

The documents that appear at https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/Red_Hat_OpenStack/ would likely be published some time later, I can't really allude to the exact time frames for that unfortunately. A key point here that I brought up in an earlier thread is that those guides start to diverge a fair bit from what's currently considered "OpenStack" in terms of installation because deployment is ideally performed using PackStack/Foreman/Puppet rather than manually installing and configuring the packages so there is not necessarily a lot of overlap for the "deployer" user. We do want to collaborate more on user and administrator documentation though, and I personally am still very much interested in contributing to any RPM-based installation material that continues to live on in openstack-manuals. As per Shaun's email I would prefer to see it consolidated into one guide though.

Thanks,

Steve