[Openstack-docs] Upgrading to Havana

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Thu Dec 19 03:24:17 UTC 2013

Upgrades are definitely operations, not a 'special case of an installation'.

This is for a few reasons, here's some examples:

* The audience of the installation guide and the operations guide is
very different. The manual installation guide is most likely to be read
by first-timers, who in many cases then use this to turn it into
something that gets managed by an automated configuration management
system such as puppet or chef.

* The steps involved in upgrading from one version to another and
installing a new version from scratch are completely different, be they
package management, or configuration file changes

* When you're upgrading, you have to keep all of your existing virtual
machines, networks, storage objects etc available and on-line. This
makes upgrades fundamentally different to installations.

Regards,

Tom