[Openstack-docs] Generating documentation

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Dec 12 18:51:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien.macchi at enovance.com
> wrote:

>  Hi Michael,
>
> Let me add openstack-docs mailing list.
>
> On 12/12/2013 02:08 AM, Michael Chapman wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  Since we (Cisco) have recently switched over to using hiera and away from
> the puppet-openstack control/compute classes, we have a lot more
> flexibility in setting parameters per-class via yaml. This has lead to my
> realisation that we have no reference documentation on what parameters are
> available, and this is making construction of user-facing doc quite
> difficult.
>
>  I've got a little script here that pulls in all the classes that are used
> by puppet_openstack_builder and generates RDoc:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/61296/1/doc/build_doc.sh
>
>   Most of the newer modules and classes are documented correctly, but the
> nova module in particular is very lacking.
>
>  I'd like some input from the community and hopefully Puppetlabs on a
> couple of things:
>
>   - First, is anyone doing this already and am I wasting my time?
>
> Not from our side.
>
>   - Second, does anyone have an opinion on where we could host doc?
>
> As an OpenStack manual contributor, I wonder if we could use
> docs.openstack.org. That's why I CC the ML, and I would like to have
> feedback from Anne Gentle.

Hi Michael, and thanks Emilien.

We don't host content for non-official projects on openstack.org web pages.
Our mission statement prioritizes core over integrated even. Incubating
projects tend to publish to readthedocs.org as they are building using
Sphinx. Any way to wrap it up in a sphinx build?

Anne