[Openstack-docs] Community communications guidelines proposal

Matthew Mosesohn mmosesohn at mirantis.com
Thu Dec 12 08:38:42 UTC 2013

Hi Stackers,

After some discussion about the Code Review Guidelines
(https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/CodeReviewGuidelines), it's come to
my attention that there is plenty of advice that could be shared with
the rest of the community about how to participate effectively, yet
respectfully, in various forms of communication. The scope of
communication I want to cover includes messages on IRC, mailing lists,
code review, and commit messages. It's quite obvious for most of you
that kindness and respect for your fellow developer helps reduce
friction that may arise when trying to contribute to OpenStack or get
help.

The intended audience for this discussion is not our core contributors
who speak English as a native language, but instead for those who are
interested in participating, but need to improve their writing skills.
Frankly speaking, in some languages, direct speech can seem harsh when
written literally in English.

After speaking with Anne Gentle, she suggested creating a
communcations guideline page as a child page under
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Conventions with a
similar format, showing correct and incorrect models of communication.

The intent of starting this thread is to field some suggestions or
possibly point out some examples of items that should be included in
this document. I'm not asking for serious investment from the Docs
team, but if you have ideas, please feel free to share them. Thank you
for your time.

Best Regards,
Matthew Mosesohn