[Openstack-docs] What's Up Doc August 22 2012

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Aug 22 18:57:46 UTC 2012

Hi all -
I've been meaning to send out a weekly status report for a while now
so I thought I'd start now.

Let's tightly manage priorities for Folsom. Glad to discuss what those
priorities are - I think they are: Compute API, Compute Admin, Network
Admin, Volumes Admin, the CLI guide, and the operations manual. It's a
lot of docs. Any other thoughts? Please discuss.

1. In review and merged this past week:
MooseFS deployment as an alternative to NFS
CLI guide for nova, glance, keystone, and swift. (The client for
quantum also is in source but it's commented out until it behaves more
like the others.)
Networking updates in Compute Admin
Cyberduck updates in Object Storage Admin
nova-manage updates in Compute Admin (still need more updates because
now you don't need nova-manage network commands, see 1039114)

2. High priority doc work:
I want to start triaging bugs tightly, are all the ones marked High
absolutely necessary for Folsom? I'll take a look, though please feel
free to do so as well Tom (and others).

The Compute API has a lot of missing information especially for
extensions. Please pick up a doc bug by assigning yourself (I have
some HPers who said they'd do so this week.) See the list at the
bottom of this email.

Volumes needs documentation for all the pluggable storage options
available. John Griffith (Cinder PTL) put in a request for more docs
from those folks in his weekly meeting.

Networking (Quantum) needs admin and operator documentation. Dan
Wendlandt (Quantum PTL) is leading this effort.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:
David Hendler should be proposing changes to add object versioning and
static web to the Object Storage API guide.
Diane Fleming has proposed a patch for the Quantum API guide
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11588/ - please review.

4. New incoming doc requests:
- I'm working on the Jenkins doc build for the CLI guide.
- I've asked David Hendler to bring in a Developer guide based on the
Volume API. Awaiting acceptance of that request.
-Right around the Fosom release, create the Image API v2 guide
(markdown>docbook>docs.openstack.org/api). [1039758]
-New hypervisor PowerVM included in nova,
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/9666/. Tiago Mello wrote a doc bug
and assigned himself the work. [1040125]
-Add all Compute API extensions as an Appendix to the Compute API Dev
Guide. [969375]

5. Doc tools updates:
The Maven plugin is at 1.4.0, but we have a known bug where the
api.openstack.org site won't build unless it's on 1.2.0, so that
pom.xml remains at 1.2.0. [1036237]
I'm looking into the broken build reported for the Compute Admin guide
with bug 1038343. Thanks for reporting.
The translation toolchain is now described at
http://wiki.openstack.org/Translations.
Content sharing through a "build-time search and replace" is being
tested at Rackspace now and is available in a snapshot. Contact me if
you're interested in testing this. See
http://wiki.openstack.org/Documentation/ContentSharing for info.

6. Other doc news:
Still seeking licensing guidance for the Operations manual chapters -
I apologize for the delay. Please, feel free to write locally and be
ready to merge in your additions. Don't let the lawyers stop you! :)

Let me know if this format works well or if you're looking for more or
different information. Also, should I send it to the OpenStack list?

Compute API bugs or missing information:

os-hypervisor admin extension:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1027287

Reboot, soft reboot: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1017543

os-quotas admin extension: