[Openstack-docs] Ansible scripts for OpenStack deployment

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Fri Aug 10 17:09:00 UTC 2012

Hi Doc'ers:

I gave a talk to the OpenStack DC user's group about how to use Ansible and Vagrant for writing and testing OpenStack deployment scripts.
http://www.slideshare.net/lorinh/vagrant-ansible-and-openstack-on-your-laptop

The Ansible scripts are on Github: https://github.com/lorin/openstack-ansible

I tried to model these scripts on the Install and Deploy Guide as closely as possible, and with links to the relevant docs scattered throughout the scripts, but I got tripped up in some places, I'll try to fix those in the docs are add as bugs.

One major issue I ran into was setting the NIC on the compute host into promiscuous mode. That's not currently in our docs, but the Mirantis blog post <http://www.mirantis.com/blog/openstack-networking-single-host-flatdhcpmanager/> was pretty emphatic about it.

Has anybody else run into that? It seems like it needs to be done on the compute hosts, but I don't think it needs to be done on the controller, even though Mirantis claims it does. I had to enable it on compute hosts, but not the controller.

Take care,

Lorin
--
Lorin Hochstein