[Openstack-docs] Operations Manual.

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Sun Aug 5 19:20:06 UTC 2012

Hey all, sorry for top posting but I'm not sure how to insert comments
without sounding weird. :)

I'm completely fine with starting it in DocBook, (I <3 markup, hee hee) but
I had two concerns really, one about the markup authors want, and another
about the license for the Operations manual chapters.

I've been talking to Debra at Pearson, on the To: line (Hi Debra!) and we
are looking for authors for some of the operations chapters to be part of a
larger book about running and deploying OpenStack. So I would love for you
to start as author but want to be sure it's okay that the license is such
that we're sharing those chapters with Pearson for a larger book. The
outline is http://etherpad.openstack.org/EssexOperationsGuide for the
operations part, and Doug Hellman and I have worked on an outline for the
"Developing" part at http://etherpad.openstack.org/PythonDevBookOutline.
The two together comprise a book proposal for Pearson.

Debra, if you have any pointers for the "source" files that would help us
decide amongst DocBook or markdown or asciidoc, let us know.

I'm trying to be transparent about the re-uses that operations manual can
be used for and make sure we're all good with it. I know I am - sharing
content with a 3rd party publisher sounds like the best of two worlds to
me. But I welcome discussion - thanks Jon for bringing it to the mailing
list, sorry I didn't do so sooner. Please discuss. :)

I think one good path is:
1. Un-abandon review 10487.
2. In the book file make sure CC licensing is set.
3. Start writing based on the outline.
4. Rock out.
5. Do maintenance going forward in a common authoring environment.

Thoughts?

Anne