[all][tc] python 3.11 testing plan

Cyril Roelandt cyril at redhat.com
Wed Sep 27 18:28:36 UTC 2023

Hi,

On 2023-08-22 18:05, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> This is very nice, though, IMO, it's too late. Bookworm was released with
> OpenStack Zed, to which I already added Python 3.11 support (if you guys
> have some patches to add on top, let me know, but as much as I know, it was
> already functional).
>
> So now, the current plan is to ... test on py3.11. Yeah, but from the Debian
> perspective, we're already on Python 3.12. The RC1 is already in Debian
> Experimental, and I expect 3.12 to reach Unstable by the end of this year.
> Once again, I'll be the sole person that will experimenting all the
> troubles. It's been YEARS like this. It's probably time to address it, no?
>
> I'd really love it, if we could find a solution so that I stop to be the
> only person getting the shit in this world. :)

For what it's worth, I try to help test py3XX when the release
candidates come out. In the past I was able to find a regression in the
sqlite module[1] and propose some of the OpenStack py311 patches[2].

Regarding Python 3.12, I have been able to fix one of our
dependencies[3] and request a new package for another[4].

I run my tests by running "tox -repy312" on a bunch of OpenStack
projects using a 3.12rc2 container image. I often have to rebuild a few
wheels for dependencies that work with Python 3.12, but only on the
master/main branch, so I make sure to use these in my testing process. I
provide the image[5] for everyone to use, and intend to keep it updated
for the next release candidates of Python3.13+.

Regards,
Cyril

[1] https://github.com/python/cpython/issues/95132
[2] https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:py311