[kolla-ansible][neutron] Kolla-ansible deployment where not all network nodes have access to the same external networks

Moonpiedumplings TheSecond moonpiedumplings2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 17:01:59 UTC 2023

I'm currently prototyping for what will be a two node openstack
install via kolla-ansible, with one part on a public vps as a network
node, and another on my home server as the main compute/controller
node, and an allinone node.

I want to use the VPS to give virtual machines public ipv6 addresses.
However, the VPS only has one ipv4 address (and I am not willing to
buy more). I'm thinking the simplest way to have both ipv4 and ipv6
connectivity is just to have my "home" node be a network node as well,
and then just  virtual machines a ipv6 floating ip, an access to a
normal, internal ipv4 subnet.

However, I can't get networking working properly, as I don't know how
to force openstack to create a network on a specific node. I have it
halfway working, I can create a network on the equivalent of the main
node in my prototypes, but not on the "vps" node. I can create a
network, but not create a virtual machine on that network, or give a
virtual machine a floating ip from that network.

In my blog, I have documented what I've tried, but it's somewhat
disorganized, as I've documented my entire process, not just my
networking troubles:

https://moonpiedumplings.github.io/projects/build-server-2/#asking-for-help

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer,