[aodh][mistral][solum][release][requirements] Feature freeze exception for wsme, sphinxcontrib-pecanwsme

Stephen Finucane stephenfin at redhat.com
Fri Sep 22 09:58:03 UTC 2023

o/
I'd like to request a feature freeze exception for the aforementioned packages
to include fixes we recently merged:

 * WSME 0.12.1 includes two fixes to the Sphinx extension to fix compatibility
   with recent Sphinx versions. There are also additional fixes to address
   compatibility with Python 3.11 (by switching from nose to pytest, by
   replacing use of pkg_utils with importlib.metadata, and by replacing use of
   inspect.getargspec with inspect.getfullargspec).

 * sphinxcontrib-pecanwsme 0.11.0 includes a fix for Python 3.11 compatibility
   (replacing use of inspect.getargspec with inspect.getfullargspec), drops
   support for Python < 3.8, and removes the use of six.

I've included a summary of the git logs below. I would argue that both version
bumps are low-risk and address issues we're seeing in the gates of multiple
projects. I would also argue that bumping these versions is a lower risk
strategy than the alternative proposal, namely the reintroduction of a cap on
the Sphinx version used to a version released nearly 18 months ago [2] (!!).
Finally, I would argue that this would be the preferred approach by our
packagers (zigo, are you there?).

The change is available [3] and waiting for reviews.

Cheers,
Stephen

PS: Why WSME 0.12.1 rather than 0.12.0, you ask? You can blame a typo [4] for
that 🙈

[1] https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2023-September/035190.html
[2] https://pypi.org/project/Sphinx/4.5.0/
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/requirements/+/896195