[ptls][URGENT] Bobcat Release: DPUs, GPUs, and FGPAs, oh my!

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 13:39:31 UTC 2023

Realistically the work Ironic has completed this cycle is to enable an
operator to execute steps against a node and a DPU as part of the same
deployment operation. This work is unrelated to past work in ironic to
support "smart nics" (the original marketing name used for DPUs), which was
more about the deploy time networking interactions. Unfortunately, we're
not entirely there as most of this was the underlying substrate and
workflow capabilities. We expect this to begin to be extended to aspects
such as firmware management of the DPU, and we already have reports of
operators using ironic separately to deploy the OS on some DPU models. The
issue is before now, they were entirely disjointed. We expect this to
improve over the next few years, but is also going to take standardization
across the DPU vendor market to really enable. The OPI[0] community is
working on trying to drive standardization, but many of the features and
requirements being discussed will likely force revision in the silicon, in
other words it might be a few years before we see the standardization we're
trying to drive there reach a usable state.

That being said, we anticipate continued work in Caracal.

[0]: https://opiproject.org/