[openstack-ansible] Dedicated gateway hosts not working with OVN

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 17:45:59 UTC 2023

I'm not a huge expert in OVN, but I believe this specific part works in
pretty much the same way for OVS and LXB.

We have exactly same usecase as you do, but with OVS for now. And the only
way to get external connectivity is to create neutron router, which will be
used as a gateway to public networks. And router should be created on OVN
gateway nodes from what I know. So your VMs always have only geneve
network, that is passed inside the router, and then router connected to
external network on gateway nodes.

Floating IP is kind of 1-to-1 NAT on the router, which allows to access
your VM through external network (and router).

Attaching public network to the VM directly in your scenario should not be
possible by design.

Feel free to join us on #openstack-ansible channel on OFTC IRC network and
we will be glad to answer your questions.