[openstack-ansible] Dedicated gateway hosts not working with OVN

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 06:20:14 UTC 2023

Hey,

If you are using standalone gateway hosts and compute nodes do not have
access to external networks, I think it is expected that you can not bind a
port from the external network to the VM.
In this case access to the external network is done only through L3 routers.

So the idea is the following:
You attach only a private (geneve) networks to the VMs. Then, you create a
neutron router, which acts as a gateway for the private network, and is
attached to an external network as well. Then you create a floating IP from
the external network and attach it to the port of the VM from the internal
one.  This way you make the external network routed via gateway hosts.

Also, regarding your original issue "The task includes an option with an
undefined variable. The error was: list object has no element 1" - we had
similar case in IRC yesterday, and James Denton has found the workaround
there by defining the br-ex bridge instead of naming it as br-flat, here
was his paste that worked out for the folk:
https://paste.opendev.org/show/bjw3b5ncP6dbhj34ltJU/
He also found an issue in our logic that caused this issue and has proposed
a patch for that:
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/openstack-ansible-os_neutron/+/893924