What is the difference between 4 and 8 virtual sockets to physical sockets?

Jorge Visentini jorgevisentini at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 21:13:15 UTC 2023

Yes, yes, that I understand.

I know that for example if I want to use host_passthrough then I must use
cpu_sockets == numa_nodes.
*My question is more conceptual, for me to understand.*

*For example:* If I have a physical host with 1 physical processor (1
socket), can I define my instance with 2, 4, 8+ sockets? I mean, is it good
practice? Is it correct to define the instance with 1 socket and increase
the amount of socket colors?

Not sure if I could explain my question... In short, what is the
relationship between the socket, cores and virtual thread and the socket,
cores and physical thread.
PS: I'm not into the issue of passthrough or not.

--
Att,
Jorge Visentini