[cinder] Map Availability Zone to Volume Type

Jahns, Jay jahns.jay at heb.com
Fri Sep 1 18:59:02 UTC 2023

Hi,

We have a multi-AZ environment where we launch instances with bootable volumes. When we specify AZ, we need to have a specific volume type in that AZ selected to launch to. Right now, the __DEFAULT__ volume type is used.

Normally, that would work, since there is 1 backend in each AZ; however, we need to be able to use the key/value RESKEY:availability_zones to pin a volume type to an AZ, so we can use specific key/values in creating the volume.

It is 2 separate backends in the environment.

I see this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1999706

And this change:
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/cinder/+/868539

Is there anything we can do to help expedite adding this functionality? It seems that it was supposed to already be in.

Thanks,

Jay