[all] osprofiler requirements on opentelemetry: is this reasonable?

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Fri Sep 1 06:48:24 UTC 2023

On 30/08/2023 11:11, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just saw that the last version of osprofiler requires
> opentelemetry-exporter-otlp and opentelemetry-sdk. Since osprofiler is
> used in almost all projects, and that opentelemetry is really HUGE, I
> wonder if this is all reasonable. This forces downstream distros to do a
> lot of packaging only for that. Is this avoidable?
>
> I started doing the packaging, and then stopped to write this message,
> seeing how much work that would represent.

Hi zigo,

from what I have seen here (and you may remember talking about this when
we met at the OpenInfra Summit this year), the change makes sense to me.

Quickly looking at [1], there may be the possibility to make it optional
though, and that would certainly make sense for the other drivers too.

Matthias

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/osprofiler/commit/908e7402320eb067db45aa9700d54d31c259f3ca
--