[tc] dropping python 3.8 support for 2024.1

Kurt Garloff kurt at garloff.de
Thu Oct 12 07:35:54 UTC 2023

Hi,

Am 12. Oktober 2023 01:23:16 MESZ schrieb Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org>:
>It isn't one year. Python 3.8 has been out since October 2019, was part of the Ubuntu Focal release in April 2020, was first supported in OpenStack Victoria (October 2020), and if kept as part of the 2024.1 release would be kept alive in OpenStack until approximately October 2025.
>
>Python 3.8 will be EOL'd by its maintainers in ~October 2024. We have seen that when python releases become EOL'd many libraries stop supporting that release. This potentially leads to gaps in security and general bugfixing. I think giving users a clear signal of when they should update runtimes before that runtime becomes problematic is a good thing.

Fully agree. A strong deprecation is definitely appropriate as 2024.1 on py3.8 can only be reliably supported with maintenance for ~1/2 year. A warning message whenever you try to run 2024.1 code on py3.8.

Leaves the question open whether or not we want to invest (likely small) effort to keep py3. 8 technically working or not.

Do we consider treating clients different from server side? I.e. avoid supporting running OpenStack 2024.1 on py3.8 while being more relaxed with users that want to run sdk & client-tools on py3.8 (Ubuntu 20.04LTS)?

PS: I don't see a strong relationship with SLURP or non-SLURP. Upgrades always go through a number of steps and the important thing is that we take responsibility for documenting and validating them.

HTH,
-- Kurt