[ops] [nova] "invalid argument: shares xxx must be in range [1, 10000]" after 1:25.2.0 to 1.25.2.1. update

smooney at redhat.com smooney at redhat.com
Thu Oct 5 19:17:04 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-10-05 at 16:53 +0200, Massimo Sgaravatto wrote:
> Dear all
>
> We have recently updated openstack nova on some AlmaLinux9 compute nodes
> running Yoga from 1:25.2.0 to 1.25.2.1. After this operation some VMs don't
> start anymore. In the log it is reported:
>
> libvirt.libvirtError: invalid argument: shares \'57344\' must be in range
> [1, 10000]\n'}
>
> libvirt version is 9.0.0-10.3
>

> A quick google search suggests that it is something related to cgroups and
> it is fixed in libvirt >= 9.1 (which is not yet in the almalinux9 repos).
> Did I get it right ?
not quite

it is reated to cgroups but the cause is that in cgroups_v1 the maxvlaue of shares
i.e. cpu_shares changed form make int to 10000 in cgroups_v2
so the issue is teh vm requested a cpu share value of 57344 which is not vlaid on an OS
that is useing cgroups_v2 libvirt will not clamp the value nor will nova.
you have to change the volue in your flavor and resize the vm.