[heat][qa][requirements] Pinning tempest in stable/xena constraints

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 06:29:47 UTC 2023

I know, I'm whining a lot about usage of u-c for such projects, but I'm
just gonna say that u-c is also might be used for tempest installation
itself. So if you're trying to install specific tempest version from the
requirements file with providing u-c as constraints while having tempest in
u-c - this will break due to pip being unable to resolve that.
And installing tempest without constraints also tends to break.

I've used a workaround to filter out u-c to drop tempest from them until
xena, so moving this back and force is a bit annoying for the end users.

I know nobody agrees with me here, but I do see u-c as an instruction for
end users on how to build their venvs (because these constraints are
tested!) to install openstack projects (can build analogy to poetry here)
and not CI thing only.

Eventually, we see more troubles with time not in tempest itself, but in
tempest plugins, when a new test being added to the plugin, that requires
new API but not verifying API microversion or feature availability. These
kind of failures we experience quite regularly, couple time during any
given cycle, which made us also pin tempest plugin versions in requirements
with for every release.

Also I have a feeling that a lot of times we're treating tempest as a
CI-only thing, which is also weird and not true for me, since it's valuable
tool for operators and being leveraged by rally or refstack to ensure state
of production environments.