[heat][magnum][tacker] Future of SoftwareDeployment support

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 02:46:51 UTC 2023

Hello,

We discussed this briefly in the past thread where we discussed maintenance
of os-*-agent repos,
and also talked about this topic during Heat PTG, but I'd like to formalize
the discussion to get
a clear agreement.

Heat has been supporting SoftwareDeployment resources to configure software
in instances using
some agents such as os-collect-config[1].
 [1]
https://docs.openstack.org/heat/latest/template_guide/software_deployment.html#software-deployment-resources

This feature was initially developed to be used by TripleO (IIUC), but
TripleO is retired now and
we are losing the first motivation to maintain the feature.
#  Even TripleO replaced most of its usage of softwaredeployment by
config-download lately.

Because the heat project team has drunk dramatically recently, we'd like to
put more focus on core
features. For that aim we are now wondering if we can deprecate and remove
this feature, and would
like to hear from anyone who has any concerns about this.

Quickly looking through the repos, it seems currently Magnum and Tacker are
using SoftwareDeployment,
and it'd be nice especially if we can understand their current requirements.

1. Magnum
It seems SoftwareDeployment is used by k8s_fedora_atomic_v1 driver but I'm
not too sure whether
this driver is still supported, because Fedora Atomic was EOLed a while
ago, right ?

2. Tacker
SoftwareDeployment can be found in only test code in the tacker repo. We
have some references kept
in heat-translator which look related to TOSCA templates.

Thank you,
Takashi Kajinami