[all][stable][ptl] Propose to EOL Rocky series

Elõd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Tue Mar 28 06:34:09 UTC 2023

Hi,

this thread was bit of forgotten, sorry for that. A bit more than two
weeks ago we had a discussion on #openstack-release about this [1].

So, to summerize, there are the issues:
- stable/rocky's gate is mostly broken
- more than one third of the repositories have transitioned their
  stable/rocky branch to EOL (including multiple core component)
- old, unmaintained CI jobs, testing environments, hinders refactoring
  of Zuul jobs and other configurations

On the other hand, as Thomas mentioned, there is the need for some
to be able to cooperate (as an example: recent security issue [2],
mentioned in previous mail or in our IRC discussion) on a common place,
namely in gerrit. This was originally the intention with Extended
Maintenance. We just haven't thought about eternity :)

It seems that teams feel that if a branch is 'open' and in 'Extended
Maintenance' then it still means it is 'fully supported', thus cannot
let the gate failing AND don't want to merge patches without gate
tests, that's one reason why teams rather EOL their branches.

We might need to think more about what is the best way forward.

[1] https://meetings.opendev.org/irclogs/%23openstack-release/%23openstack-release.2023-03-08.log.html#t2023-03-08T13:54:34
[2] https://security.openstack.org/ossa/OSSA-2023-002.html

Előd