[Openstack] Lack of Balance solution such as Watcher.

Dmitriy Rabotyagov noonedeadpunk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 01:03:25 UTC 2023

Eventually I don't fully understand reasons behind need of such service.

As fighting with high load by migrating instances between computes is
fighting with consequences rather then with root cause, not saying that it
brings more negative effects then positive for experience of the end-users,
as you're just moving problem to another place affecting more workloads
with degraded performance.

If you struggling from high load on a daily basis - then you have too high
cpu_allocation_ratio set for computes. As high load issues always come from
attempts to oversell too agressively.

If you have workloads in the cloud that always utilize all CPUs available -
then you should consider having flavors and aggregates with cpu-pinning,
meaning providing physical CPUs for such workloads.

Also don't forget, that it's worth setting more realistic numbers for
reserved resources on computes, because default 2gb of RAM is usually too
small.