[neutron]

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 16:44:32 UTC 2023

Hi,

Dnia wtorek, 14 marca 2023 10:46:07 CET Kamil Madac pisze:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm in the process of planning a small public cloud based on OpenStack. I
> have quite experience with kolla-ansible deployments which use OVS
> networking and I have no issues with that. It works stable for my use cases
> (Vlan provider networks, DVR, tenant networks, floating IPs).
>
> For that new deployment I'm looking at OVN deployment which from what I
> read should be more performant (faster build of instances) and with ability
> to cover more networking features in OVN instead of needing external
> software like iptables/dnsmasq.
>
> Does anyone use OVN in production and what is your experience (pros/cons)?
> Is OVN mature enough to replace OVS in the production deployment (are there
> some basic features from OVS missing)?

I'm not using it in production as I'm not cloud operator but I can say that it is stable and mature enough to use it.
In Red Hat OpenStack (RH OSP) it's default networking backend since OSP16 (based on upstream Train version).
Regarding list of the feature parity gaps You can check https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/ovn/gaps.html - this list should be more or less up to date. In case of any doubts You can always ask on neutron channel on IRC about specific feature which You would need :)

--
Slawek Kaplonski
Principal Software Engineer