[openstack][backup] Experience for instance backup

Eugen Block eblock at nde.ag
Mon Mar 13 11:46:41 UTC 2023

Hi,

could you be more specific what is "not too fast" for you? I don't
really have too much information from my side, but I can describe how
we do it.
We use Ceph as back end for all services (nova, glance, cinder), and
the most important machines are backed up by our backup server
directly via rbd commands:
  - We create a snapshot of the running instances and export the
snapshot to an external drive, this is a full backup.
In addition to that many of our machines have their home or working
directories mounted from CephFS which we also backup as a tar ball to
an external drive once a week (also full backup).
And then we have also a "real" backup solution in place (bacula) where
we store incremental as well as full backups from individually
configured resources for different intervals.
All these different approaches have different runtimes, of course.
Just as an example, one 40 GB VM (rbd image) which has areound 24 GB
in-use takes around 6 minutes for the full backup.
Although we also have the cinder-backup service up and running nobody
is using it because the important volumes are attached to instances
which we backup by our rbd solution, so there's no real need for that.

Regards,
Eugen