[Outreachy] Setting up development envirenment

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Mar 12 13:52:07 UTC 2023

On 2023-03-12 18:30:34 +0500 (+0500), Khadija Kamran wrote:
[...]
> Yes I have installed tox.
> Here is the link to the error:
> https://paste.openstack.org/show/bQBHKrMiphG75uWHjkRj/
> Kindly look into this.
[...]

Based on the slew of bug reports I found, this looks like an
incompatibility between the latest versions of tox and pytest.
Unfortunately there's a lot of finger-pointing, and the suggestions
from their respective upstreams are to either uninstall one of the
two packages, or pin one of them to an older version, or use an
isolated environment such as a venv instead of using `sudo pip
install ...` in the system Python's context.

You could try one of the following:

    sudo pip install tox py

    sudo pip install tox 'pytest<7.2'

    sudo pip uninstall pytest ; sudo pip install tox

Ultimately, though, we should be teaching people to install and run
tox and similar tools with their distribution package manager or in
a venv rather than running `sudo pip install ...` since PEP 668 is
starting to disallow that workflow on newer platforms anyway.
--
Jeremy Stanley