bare metal provisioner replacement for Fuel

Frank Smith fsmith at techwiki.info
Fri Mar 10 23:22:56 UTC 2023

Hey all, quick question:

Previously I would use Fuel to deploy Openstack. It was a good tool, as it
built a deployment server where I would see new, un-provisioned servers
show up in the list, and I could choose the roles, including stacking
roles, onto the servers and then provision the whole cluster. There were no
complex yaml or JSON files to deal with and it would retry the deployment
on an error state. When done, I had a nice OpenStack cluster, a Ceph
backend, and life was good.

Now it seems Fuel has been retired. What is comparable to the abilities of
Fuel today? What are people using for such deployments now? I get
that devstack, microstack and packstack are great for all-in-one installs,
but Fuel was great for deploying a whole rack of servers from bare metal. I
am not asking for any free training here, but instead asking for info on a
similar product, if there is one, so I can learn that and be OpenStack
productive once more.

Thank you for any help,
--Francis Smith