[neutron][largescale-sig] agent_down_time and report_interval

Arnaud Morin arnaud.morin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 13:29:37 UTC 2023

Hello neutron and large-scalers,

Is there any recommendation on tuning the neutron report_interval
(agent) and agent_down_time (server) to "optimize" the communication
between agents and servers without putting to much heavy duty on both
rabbit and database?

We are currently facing some scaling issue regarding this, and we found
out that, at least, CERN did some tweak about this ([1] and [2])

Is there anyone else with specific configuration on that part?

I have the feeling that this could be increased (so report will happen
less often). One obvious side effect of this is the fact that the server
will take more time to see a down agent, is there any other side effect
that could happen?

Is it something we can eventually add in our large-scale
documentation ([3])?

Cheers,

[1] https://youtu.be/5WL47L1P5kE?t=1173
[2] https://object-storage-ca-ymq-1.vexxhost.net/swift/v1/6e4619c416ff4bd19e1c087f27a43eea/www-assets-prod/presentation-media/Evolution-of-OpenStack-Networking-at-CERN3.pdf