cryptography min version (non-rust) through 2024.1

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Tue Mar 7 17:13:17 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2023-03-07 at 11:19 -0500, Corey Bryant wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As you probably know, recent versions of cryptography have hard
> dependencies on rust.  Are there any community plans to continue supporting
> a minimum (non-rust) version of cryptography until a specific release?

i tought we had already raised the min above the version that required rust
so not that i am aware of. cryptography>=2.7 is our curret stated minium but we have
been testing with a much much newwer version for alont time since we do not test miniums anymore
https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/6caedfd97675940eb3cf07e2f019926dae45d02c

> The concern I have downstream in Ubuntu is that we need to continue being
> compatible with cryptography 3.4.8 through openstack 2024.1. This is
> because all releases through 2024.1 will be backported to the ubuntu 22.04
> cloud archives which will use cryptography 3.4.8. Once we get to 2024.2, we
> will be backporting to 24.04 cloud archives, which will have the new
> rust-based versions of cryptography.
>
> The current upper-constraint for cryptography is 38.0.2, but the various
> requirements.txt min versions are much lower (e.g. keystone has
> cryptography>=2.7). This is likely to lead to patches landing with features
> that are only in 38.0.2, so it will likely be difficult to enforce min
> version support. But perhaps a stance toward maintaining compatibility
> could be established.
https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/584e06b0c186d4355d1d51f2d6df96e822253bef/resolutions/20220414-drop-lower-constraints.rst
we decided to "Drop Lower Constraints Maintenance" relitivly recently
while we have pti guidance for some lanagues rust is not one of them
https://github.com/openstack/governance/tree/584e06b0c186d4355d1d51f2d6df96e822253bef/reference/pti
and its also not part of the tested runtims
https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/runtimes/2023.2.rst

so i would proably try to avoid makign any commitment to continuting to supprot non rust based pycryptography
release