[kolla] [train] [cinder] Volume multiattach exposed to non-admin users via API

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 17:02:59 UTC 2023

On 2/28/23 9:02 PM, Ghanshyam Mann wrote:
[snip]

> I think removing from client is good way to stop exposing this old/not-recommended way to users
> but API is separate things and removing the API request parameter 'multiattach' from it can break
> the existing users using it this way. Tempest test is one good example of such users use case. To maintain
> the backward compatibility/interoperability it should be removed by bumping the microversion so that
> it continue working for older microversions. This way we will not break the existing users and will
> provide the new way for users to start using.

It's not just that this is not recommended, it can lead to data loss.
We should only allow multiattach for volume types that actually support
it.  So I see this as a case of "I broke your script now, but you'll
thank me later".

We could microversion this, but then an end user has to go out of the
way and add the correct mv to their request to get the correct behavior.
  Someone using the default mv + multiattach=true will unknowingly put
themselves into a data loss situation.  I think it's better to break
that person's API request.

cheers,
brian