[openstack-dev][PCI passthrough] How to use PCI passthrough feature correctly? And is this BUG in update_devices_from_hypervisor_resources?

Simon Jones batmanustc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 10:12:11 UTC 2023

Thanks a lot !!!

As you say, I follow
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/admin/ovn/smartnic_dpu.html.
And I want to use DPU mode. Not "disable DPU mode".
So I think I should follow the link above exactlly, so I use
vnic-type=remote_anaged.
In my opnion, after I run first three command (which is "openstack network
create ...", "openstack subnet create", "openstack port create ..."), the
VF rep port and OVN and OVS rules are all ready.
What I should do in "openstack server create ..." is to JUST add PCI device
into VM, do NOT call neutron-server in nova-compute of compute node ( like
call port_binding or something).

But as the log and steps said in the emails above, nova-compute call
port_binding to neutron-server while running the command "openstack server
create ...".

So I still have questions is:
1) Is my opinion right? Which is "JUST add PCI device into VM, do NOT call
neutron-server in nova-compute of compute node ( like call port_binding or
something)" .
2) If it's right, how to deal with this? Which is how to JUST add PCI
device into VM, do NOT call neutron-server? By command or by configure? Is
there come document ?

----
Simon Jones

Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> 于2023年3月1日周三 16:15写道: