Version support matrix?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Jul 27 12:06:57 UTC 2023

On 2023-07-27 11:07:30 +0100 (+0100), Alex Kavanagh wrote:
> Just to add to what's already been said, from the perspective of
> Ubuntu and OpenStack, we have the following info.
[...]

Yes, if taking downstream support into account, things do indeed get
more confusing. This is mainly because upstream we test the version
of OpenStack we're developing on the latest versions of
distributions which are already available *at the time we start
developing* (so basically at the time of our previous release).
Conversely, a lot of downstream distributors test and package the
latest available version of OpenStack on the version of their
distribution they're developing (often whatever version is available
at the time they freeze their packages in preparation, which can be
months before they actually release their distribution). As a
result, upstream testing tends to sometimes be on older distribution
versions, while downstream packaging tends to be on newer
distributions than what was tested upstream. The details will, of
course, vary by distributor though.
--
Jeremy Stanley