Nova Ussuri: DB online migration cannot migrate (some) populate_user_id

Michel Jouvin michel.jouvin at ijclab.in2p3.fr
Fri Jul 21 05:45:00 UTC 2023

Hi,

We upgraded one of our clouds to Ussuri (we are late!) a couple of
months ago. After the upgrade 'nova-manage db online_data_migration' was
run. fill_virtual_interface_list and populate_user_id where non zero and
after running the command fill_virtual_interface_list was 0 but
populate_user_id stayed 24. Looking in nova-manage.log, I found the
follwoing message (twice every time the command is run):

Some instance mappings were not migratable. This may be transient due to
in-flight instance builds, or could be due to stale data that will be
cleaned up after running "nova-manage db archive_deleted_rows --purge".

I ran the suggest command but the result is that
fill_virtual_interface_list is non zero again (15) and there is no
change to populate_user_i. If I run again online_data_migration, it
clears again  fill_virtual_interface_list... and so on.

After 2 months the situation remains the same, no increase in
populate_user_id but no possibility to fix them. We were wondering if it
could have been caused by the fact that we had not yet upgraded all the
compute nodes when we first ran the online_data_migration. We are
planning to upgrade to Victoria and we'd like to fix the situation
before as we understand that online data migration not done can be
blocking for the next upgrade.

We don't have any clue on the reason this happened. It is a test cloud
with a very low usage. On our production cloud we have a somewhat
similar problem but populate_user_id=1 and running the purge doesn't
increase fill_virtual_interface_list.

Thanks in advance for any hint! Best regards,

Michel