[ops] Built-in rolling-update/instance refresh capabilities

Matthew Giassa matthew at giassa.net
Tue Jul 18 03:21:08 UTC 2023

Good day,

I was originally discussing this on the IRC channel, #openstack, and was
advised to reach out to this mailing list. In short, does OpenStack (i.e.
via Heat, Senlin, Masakari, or some other feature/plugin), have the ability
to perform a rolling upgrade operation on a group of VMs (i.e. similar to
the "rolling update" feature in K8S, or the "instance refresh" feature in
AWS auto-scaling groups / ASGs). I've reviewed the available documentation,
but all documents regarding "rolling upgrades" are with respect to a
rolling upgrade of the OpenStack/IaaS stack itself (i.e. operator-level
functionality) as opposed to groups of VMs managed by OpenStack (i.e.
user-level functionality). I'd ideally like to use built-in functionality
to handle this operation, rather than writing a service from scratch.

I've also looked into tools such as Spinnaker.io and Harness.io, but could
not find any FOSS or COTS tools for implementing rolling upgrades on
OpenStack out-of-the-box (though if there are any options I've overlooked,
I'm all ears).

Thank you.

Matthew Giassa
e-mail:   matthew at giassa.net