[neutron] unmanaged router resources - OVN interconnect

Roberto Bartzen Acosta roberto.acosta at luizalabs.com
Mon Jul 17 18:04:08 UTC 2023

Em seg., 17 de jul. de 2023 às 13:33, Rodolfo Alonso Hernandez <
ralonsoh at redhat.com> escreveu:

> > In my opinion the answer would be: yes and no, this approach would work
> for isolated cases, but think on a larger scale: how many external networks
> would need to be managed at the IP Fabric level?
> This is exactly what you are proposing in your previous mails: "Felix'
> suggestion is related to integrating the TS to a network on Neutron (some
> kind of mapping)". So at this point I'm curious about your proposal. And
> about the static routes, if these routes are created from a Neutron defined
> router, as I proposed, they won't be deleted.

The DB sync calls this method [1] to provide a list of the static routes
related to some router (Neutron defined router), and then check if this
list is consistent with the Neutron static route database [2]. This route
will not exist in Neutron (it's a learned route), if this is not made
flexible, the OVN-IC cannot be integrated with Neutron because those routes
will be deleted. This behavior extends to any other resource dynamically
learned by OVN / OVN-IC solution.

[1]
https://opendev.org/openstack/neutron/src/branch/master/neutron/plugins/ml2/drivers/ovn/mech_driver/ovsdb/impl_idl_ovn.py#L344
[2]
https://opendev.org/openstack/neutron/src/branch/master/neutron/plugins/ml2/drivers/ovn/mech_driver/ovsdb/ovn_db_sync.py#L348

> > About the proposed RFE, do you see any problem if Neutron deletes from
> the OVN only what it manages?
> Yes, a huge one: OVN is a service for Neutron, same as RabbitMQ or MySQL.
> These services are 100% controlled by Neutron because the resources can
> clash. You can't manually create an IPAM register in the DB because that
> will disable one IP address. The same for OVN: you can't manually create a
> LRP in a Logical Switch that provides a Neutron network because this LRP
> will have an IP address. If a new Neutron port is created and it uses the
> same IP address of the existing LRP (that doesn't exist in Neutron), the
> new port will be considered virtual and won't be able to be used in a VM
> (this is an actual problem I found in a customer last week). So no, Neutron
> should not allow other resources in OVN apart from what Neutron creates.

I understand and it makes sense. However, what would be the options? no
other existing solution reinjects routes at the SDN level. The main reason
to use OVN-IC is for the router to "learn" the remote routes, if that is
not possible from a Neutron perspective and we have to create static route
entries manually (via OpenStack) maybe this makes the OVN-IC solution
unfeasible.