SNAT failure with OVN under Antelope

Yatin Karel ykarel at redhat.com
Thu Jul 13 15:43:05 UTC 2023

Hi Gary,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2023 at 9:22 PM Gary Molenkamp <molenkam at uwo.ca> wrote:

> A little progress, but I may be tripping over bug
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/2003455
>
> That bug was mostly targeting vlan provider networks but you mentioned you
using geneve and flat networks so this might not be related.

Multiple components involved so it would be difficult to narrow it down
here without much details as functionality wise it would have just
worked(in my Train OVN environment i checked it worked fine). So I think it
would be best to start with a bug report at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/ with details(by reverting the env to
previous state bridges, ovn-cms options configured and DVR enabled). Good
to include details like:-

- Environment details:-
  - Number of controller, computes nodes
  - Nodes are virtual or physical
  - Deployment tool used, Operating System
  - Neutron version
  - OVN/OVS versions
- Share ovn-controller logs from the compute and controller node
- Share OVN Northbound and Southbound DB files from the controller node and
ovs conf.db from compute nodes
- Output of resources involved:-
  - openstack network agent list
  - openstack server list --long
  - openstack port list --router <router id>
  - Reproduction steps along with output from the operations(both with good
and bad vms)
- Output of below commands from controller and compute nodes:-
  - iptables -L
  - netstat -i
  - ip addr show
  - ovs-vsctl show
  - ovs-vsctl list open .

> If I remove the provider bridge from the second hypervisor:
>     ovs-vsctl remove open . external-ids
> ovn-cms-options="enable-chassis-as-gw"
>     ovs-vsctl remove open . external-ids ovn-bridge-mappings
>     ip link set br-provider down
>     ovs-vsctl del-br br-provider
> and disable
>     enable_distributed_floating_ip
>
> Then both VMs using SNAT on each compute server work.
>
> This looks interesting. Would be good to also check the behavior when no
VM has FIP attached.

> Turning the second chassis back on as a gateway immediately breaks the VM
> on the second compute server:
>
>     ovs-vsctl set open . external-ids:ovn-cms-options=enable-chassis-as-gw
>     ovs-vsctl add-br br-provider
>     ovs-vsctl set open .
> external-ids:ovn-bridge-mappings=provider:br-provider
>     ovs-vsctl add-port br-provider ens256
>     systemctl restart ovn-controller openvswitch.service
>
> Here it would be interesting to check where exactly traffic drops using
tcpdump.

> [...]
> the same chassis as the CR-LRP.
>
> In my test cloud, I have one controller, and two compute nodes.  The
> controller only runs the north and southd in addition to the neutron
> server.  Each of the two compute nodes is configured as below.  On a tenent
> network I have three VMs:
>     - #1:  cirros VM with FIP
>     - #2:  cirros VM running on compute node 1
>     - #3:  cirros VM running on compute node 2
>
> E/W traffic between VMs in the same tenent network are fine.  N/S traffic
> is fine for the FIP.  N/S traffic only works for the VM whose CR-LRP is
> active on same chassis.   Does anything jump out as a mistake in my
> understanding at to how this should be working?
>
> Thanks as always,
> Gary
>

> on each hypervisor:
>
> /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl set open . external-ids:ovn-remote=tcp:{{ controllerip
> }}:6642
> /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl set open . external-ids:ovn-encap-type=geneve
> /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl set open . external-ids:ovn-encap-ip={{ overlaynetip }}
> /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl set open .
> external-ids:ovn-cms-options=enable-chassis-as-gw
> /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl add-br br-provider -- set bridge br-provider
> protocols=OpenFlow10,OpenFlow12,OpenFlow13,OpenFlow14,OpenFlow15
> /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl add-port br-provider {{ provider_nic }}
> /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl br-set-external-id provider bridge-id br-provider
> /usr/bin/ovs-vsctl set open .
> external-ids:ovn-bridge-mappings=provider:br-provider
>
> plugin.ini:
> [ml2]
> mechanism_drivers = ovn
> type_drivers = flat,geneve
> tenant_network_types = geneve
> extension_drivers = port_security
> overlay_ip_version = 4
> [ml2_type_flat]
> flat_networks = provider
> [ml2_type_geneve]
> vni_ranges = 1:65536
> max_header_size = 38
> [securitygroup]
> enable_security_group = True
> firewall_driver =
> neutron.agent.linux.iptables_firewall.OVSHybridIptablesFirewallDriver
> [ovn]
> ovn_nb_connection = tcp:{{controllerip}}:6641
> ovn_sb_connection = tcp:{{controllerip}}:6642
> ovn_l3_scheduler = leastloaded
> ovn_metadata_enabled = True
> enable_distributed_floating_ip = true
>

> --
> Gary Molenkamp			Science Technology Services
> Systems Administrator		University of Western Ontariomolenkam at uwo.ca                 http://sts.sci.uwo.ca
> (519) 661-2111 x86882		(519) 661-3566
>

> --
> Gary Molenkamp			Science Technology Services
> Systems Engineer		University of Western Ontariomolenkam at uwo.ca                 http://sts.sci.uwo.ca
> (519) 661-2111 x86882		(519) 661-3566
>

> --
> Gary Molenkamp			Science Technology Services

Thanks and Regards
Yatin Karel