[cinder-backup][kolla] mix cinder-volume and cinder-backup types (nfs, ceph)

Gorka Eguileor geguileo at redhat.com
Thu Jul 13 10:18:08 UTC 2023

On 23/06, garcetto wrote:
> good evening,
>  it is possible to mix cinder-volume backend (say ceph) and cinder-backup
> backend (say nfs)?
> and also do incrementals backup?
> thank you

Hi,

In general the answer is YES, you can backup from any volume backend to
any backup backend.

Unfortunately Ceph is slightly different (it was the first one to do
incremental and is the most efficient if you do Ceph to Ceph), so there
have been some bugs related to backing to non Ceph backends in the past.

I believe these have been fixed already, but I'm not completely sure and
in which releases.

The best way would be to test in your desired release.

Cheers,
Gorka.