AW: Need help

Nils.Magnus at t-systems.com Nils.Magnus at t-systems.com
Tue Jul 11 09:57:25 UTC 2023

Hi Kumar,

not meaning to be offensive, but having a rough idea how to become an architect is a good first step 😊

That having said, it’s probably not just reading a good book or booking a good training, but doing practical exercises over and over again. However, there are good news: There’s plenty of material available and there are probably many paths that lead to success. I can only outline four suggestions that helped me personally in the past couple of years:

  *   There are several OpenStack introduction videos available on YouTube. Don’t be afraid watching some videos, even if they are a few years old and seem to be outdated. If you keep an open mind, this is not so important when you actually start your learning journey. Try to get an overview of the structure and top-level-architecture of OpenStack.
One example (of many): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kADjGCuSVI

  *   There is one notorious architectural diagram that is available in many places in the Internet. Here is one link: https://www.pinterest.de/pin/1196337376870638/ While this might not be the premier example of creating an easy-to-understand diagram, it has some inner beauty. Make yourself familiar with it. This does not mean that you need to be able to explain every single box or arrow (and there are plenty of them!), but understand the *idea* of it. When you want to attach a volume to a server instance with the command line tool, try to figure out your exact path through this diagram, for example.

  *   You need to exercise. Practically. With your fingertips on the keyboard. Not just reading books. There are basically two easy ways to do so: One is to figure out an existing public cloud that offers some free tier for beginners or students. Even with as little as $100 of virtual money you can do a lot experiments for a start. The alternative is to install a simplified version of OpenStack on your own computer. If you are really new, I don’t recommend to start with installing “the real thing” directly, as there might be many minor pitfalls that don’t pay into your learning experience. Something I like is Ubuntu’s “microstack”, which is a “snap” package for the Linux distro (nowadays also labelled as “sunbeam” if I understood the session right during the last Summit). Some people like Ubuntu snaps, some don’t. We could engage in a lengthy discussion if they are the “right” way to package software, but setting up a tiny instance on your single notebook computer was never so easy. It takes you less than 15 minutes to have a setup up and running. If you progress on your journey, the microstack approach may have some limitations, but it’s a great start.

  *   There is a browser-based UI to work with OpenStack (“Horizon”). It’s okay to use that for very first steps, but keep in mind that in the long run you picked the cloud principle to be able to automate tasks. Using the CLI (“OpenStack Client”, “OSC”, or just “openstack” on the command line) is an important first step in this direction. Familiarize yourself also with Python and its language bindings to the OpenStack API, called “OpenStack SDK”. It’s not necessary to write huge programs, but writing a script that just lists all your volumes or servers might be insightful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKadc-cxZc0 (second talk).

I hope that helps!

Regards,

Nils

--