[designate] About delegating PTR using shared zones on a shared internal network

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Jul 6 09:26:09 UTC 2023

Hi there!

I have just watched Michael Johnson's video of the presentation at the
last Vancouver summit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdhvNezU1w4

This was very interesting, and thanks Michael, for that awesome feature.

In our use case, we created an OpenStack internal network, that is
shared for all of our customers, so that they can allocate public IPs
assigned directly to their instances, without the need to create a
router and use NAT.

For the moment (since we don't have the shared zones feature yet), we
manage the PTR record through support tickets. We'd like to move
forward, and delegate the PTR handling to our customer, whenever they
allocate a port on that specific shared network. How can this be done?

Should we create a new sink of our own, so that we would automate the
the shared zone creation, so that it would delegate the in-addr.arpa.
range, when a port on that network is created, and the same way, remove
the delegation (and records) whenever the port is deleted? Would this be
something similar, probably, we the sink we implemented to automatically
delete PTR records in floating IPs, available here [1]?

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/services/designate/-/blob/debian/antelope/debian/patches/add-new-floatingip-handler.patch

I'd love to have some pointers / examples, so we could implement this
directly in Designate, so that the feature could be shared in the
OpenStack community. For sure, we aren't the only public cloud provider
with the use case...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)