openstack client integration to fetch and provide OIDC access tokens (v3oidcaccesstoken)?

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Fri Jan 20 21:22:44 UTC 2023

Hey openstack-discuss,

while there is support for OpenID Connect and its various flows in the
openstack client
(https://docs.openstack.org/python-openstackclient/latest/cli/man/openstack.html#envvar-OS_AUTH_TYPE).

I would like to have the user authenticate only with central IdP login
via a web page and then receive an access token and not have each user's
openstack cli be a full OIDC client handling credentials and
authenticating against the IdP via the users password itself.

The tricky bit here is having good tooling for users to authenticate via
the existing SSO and then to get and refresh tokens which are then fed
to the openstack CLI. I was wondering if anybody knows of some nice
integrations / plugins / hooks to make it easy for users to deal with
the authentication (usually via some web site) and then to inject the
token (v3oidcaccesstoken) into openstack-cli?

I found that Fedcloud.eu (https://www.fedcloud.eu/) does something like
this (see https://fedcloudclient.fedcloud.eu/usage.html#authentication)
via OIDC-Agent. But most platforms making use of OIDC seem to configure
the openstack client with client_id and secret and have it authenticate
directly with the IdP.

Regards,

Christian