[tc][heat][tacker] Moving governance of tosca-parser(and heat-translator ?) to Tacker

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 03:54:45 UTC 2023

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 11:38 AM Yasufumi Ogawa <yasufum.o at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >>   ---- On Sun, 19 Feb 2023 18:44:14 -0800  Takashi Kajinami  wrote ---
> >>   > Hello,
> >>   >
> >>   > Currently tosca-parser is part of heat's governance, but the core
> >> reviewers of this repositorydoes not contain any active heat cores
> while we
> >> see multiple Tacker cores in this group.Considering the fact the
> project is
> >> mainly maintained by Tacker cores, I'm wondering if we canmigrate this
> >> repository to Tacker's governance. Most of the current heat cores are
> not
> >> quitefamiliar with the codes in this repository, and if Tacker team is
> not
> >> interested in maintainingthis repository then I'd propose retiring this.
> As you mentioned, tacker still using tosca-parser and heat-translator.
>

> >> I think it makes sense and I remember its usage/maintenance by the
> Tacker
> >> team since starting.
> >> But let's wait for the Tacker team opinion and accordingly you can
> propose
> >> the governance patch.
> Although I've not joined to tacker team since starting, it might not be
> true because there was no cores of tosca-parser and heat-translator in
> tacker team. We've started to help maintenance the projects because no
> other active contributer.
>

> >>   >
> >>   > Similarly, we have heat-translator project which has both heat cores
> >> and tacker cores as itscore reviewers. IIUC this is tightly related to
> the
> >> work in tosca-parser, I'm wondering it makesmore sense to move this
> project
> >> to Tacker, because the requirement is mostly made fromTacker side rather
> >> than Heat side.
> >>
> >> I am not sure about this and from the name, it seems like more of a heat
> >> thing but it is not got beyond the Tosca template
> >> conversion. Are there no users of it outside of the Tacker service? or
> any
> >> request to support more template conversions than
> >> Tosca?
> >>

> > Current hea-translator supports only the TOSCA template[1].
> > The heat-translator project can be a generic template converter by its
> > nature but we haven't seen any interest
> > in implementing support for different template formats.
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://github.com/openstack/heat-translator/blob/master/translator/osc/v1/translate.py#L49
> >

> >> If no other user or use case then I think one option can be to merge it
> >> into Tosca-parser itself and retire heat-translator.
> >>
> >> Opinion?
> Hmm, as a core of tosca-parser, I'm not sure it's a good idea because it
> is just a parser TOSCA and independent from heat-translator. In
> addition, there is no experts of Heat or HOT in current tacker team
> actually, so it might be difficult to maintain heat-translator without

The hea-translator project was initially created to implement a translator
from TOSCA parser to HOT[1].
Later tosca-parser was split out[2] but we have never increased scope of
tosca-parser. So it has been
no more than the TOSCA template translator.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/heat-translator-tosca
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/project-config/+/211204

We (Heat team) can provide help with any problems with heat, but we own no
actual use case of template translation.
Maintaining the heat-translator repository with tacker, which currently
provides actual use cases would make more sense.
This also gives the benefit that Tacker team can decide when stable
branches of heat-translator should be retired
along with the other Tacker repos.

> By the way, may I ask what will be happened if the governance is move on
> to tacker? Is there any extra tasks for maintenance?
>
> TC would have better (and more precise) explanation but my understanding
is that
 - creating a release
 - maintaining stable branches
 - maintaining gate health
would be the required tasks along with moderating dev discussion in mailing
list/PTG/etc.