[all][docs] Inconsistencies in api-ref rendering - impacting compute and baremetal api-ref, maybe others

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Thu Feb 23 17:54:32 UTC 2023

Hi all,

While investigating some rendering issues with the Ironic api-ref --
headings not being shown. We discovered a strange configuration in
openstackdocstheme. We're not really certain how it's broken, but there is
a visual problem that needs to be fixed either in the theme or in Ironic's
(and others') content.

If you look at https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/baremetal/ -- you'll
notice there are no primary headers. This is because they are in a rst
construct rendered as an h1, which the CSS in the openstackdocstheme
renders to display:none:
https://github.com/openstack/openstackdocstheme/blob/master/openstackdocstheme/theme/openstackdocs/static/css/combined.css#L929

We also noticed this same rendering issue appears to exist in compute API:
https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/

But not for Neutron:
https://docs.openstack.org/api-ref/network/v2/index.html. It appears that
neutron has added an additional layer of headers which are rendering (
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openstack/neutron-lib/master/api-ref/source/v2/address-groups.inc)
in addition to the headers that are not rendering.

This behavior has been in the openstackdocstheme for years, it was
introduced in
https://github.com/openstack/openstackdocstheme/commit/f81f3344076a09482545534e014318d7e961f825
back in 2016.

This raises some questions
* What's the correct fix? Dmitry is exploring options to do a neutron-style
workaround in our Ironic api-ref to make them render properly for us; but
given it's (effectively) broken for Nova as well is an interesting data
point that might indicate a fix in the theme is needed.
* Are other openstack projects/APIs impacted by this?

I'm not a documentation or front end html/css expert, so I'm hoping folks
with more historical context and front end knowledge can respond here and
help us determine which way to go. In lieu of further input, Ironic will
fix our api-ref in the same method that Neutron has appeared to be taking
and I suggest Nova do the same.

Thanks,
Jay Faulkner
Ironic PTL