[kolla] [train] [cinder] Volume multiattach exposed to non-admin users via API

Albert Braden ozzzo at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 17:12:35 UTC 2023

According to this document [1] multiattach volumes can only be setup if explicitly allowed by creating a “multiattach” volume type.

“Starting from the Queens release the ability to attach a volume to multiple hosts/servers requires that the volume is of a special type that includes an extra-spec capability setting of multiattach=<is> True… Creating a new volume type is an admin-only operation by default.

One of our customers appears to have used TerraForm to create a volume with the multiattach flag set and it worked, and that volume has multiple attachments. When I look here [2] it appears that the default is:

#"volume:multiattach": "rule:xena_system_admin_or_project_member"

So it looks like, by default, any project member can create a multiattach volume. What am I missing?

[1]: https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/admin/volume-multiattach.html
[2]: https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/configuration/block-storage/samples/policy.yaml.html#policy-file