[TripleO] Last maintained release of TripleO is Wallaby

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 22:38:41 UTC 2023

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 4:25 PM Ghanshyam Mann <gmann at ghanshyammann.com>
wrote:

>  ---- On Wed, 08 Feb 2023 10:07:23 -0800  Ghanshyam Mann  wrote ---
>  >
>  >  ---- On Wed, 08 Feb 2023 09:38:07 -0800  James Slagle  wrote ---
>  >  > The team of TripleO developers, reviewers, and community have no
> plans to do another release of TripleO, or to continue maintaining the Zed
> release. This means the last maintained release of TripleO is Wallaby. The
> plan is to continue to maintain the train and wallaby branches of TripleO
> repositories under the openstack namespace. We plan to continue to run
> existing CI on those branches, although we anticipate reducing to a minimal
> set of jobs in the future. Going forward, the TripleO team expects to
> continue involvement in other OpenStack projects, and focus on different
> approaches to OpenStack deployment.
>  >  >
>  >  > The team is not aware of enough other community interest to continue
> to maintain the zed, master, and future branches of TripleO. Eventually, we
> will empty commit these branches with a pointer to Wallaby being the last
> release. If other interests do exist to maintain TripleO going forward,
> then those plans can adjust.
>  >  >
>  >  > TripleO does not plan on nominating a PTL in the current Bobcat
> election cycle. If a PTL-like contact is needed for train and wallaby
> maintenance, then someone will be nominated. I am also not sure how to
> reflect this project structure change within openstack/governance, and am
> looking for guidance on how to do so. This type of change did not seem to
> exactly fit within the concepts of inactive or retired projects. I can work
> on the patches for governance with some direction, if anyone can provide
> it. Thanks, and please let us know any questions or feedback about this
> plan.
>
> The situation is very difficult in TripleO case where:
>
> * Last supported branch needs to be stable/wallaby[1]
> * There is stable/zed but no stable/xena, stable/yoga [2]
> * There are independent releases (16.0.0 - 18.0.0 tag) after
> stable/wallaby[3]
>
> We were discussing these cases more in the TC channel and it seems we are
> in a difficult situation to find the best way to
> deprecate/communicate the support of the released version. Either we
> should close stable/zed or keep it open or mark
> stable/wallaby as last supported but what about the released after
> stable/wallaby?

We did a release for stable/zed[1], and then it looks like another release
to help us fix upgrades[2]. We don't plan to support those releases, as
they were done from zed.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/releases/+/863011
[2] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/releases/+/867196

> As the next step, TC will discuss it in the coming next week (Feb 15)
> meeting and get an agreement on the steps we need to
> do in TripleO case. Meanwhile, please hold on to removing/cleaning/EOL
> anything.

Will do.

--
-- James Slagle