[ALL] Why we dont have an official forum?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Feb 1 20:28:26 UTC 2023

On 2023-01-31 19:21:06 -0500 (-0500), Michael Knox wrote:
> I would be happy to contribute and maintain. If that's the ask.

The offer is appreciated, but you'll need top clarify what you mean
by "maintain" in that case. Are you offering to install and run the
service? And for how many years can you commit to doing that?

> mailing lists and IRC are not overly useful, 24 hours in
> #openstack is just people connecting and disconnecting.

This is actually an example of why the past web forum attempts never
worked out. Users are told to go ask questions in the #openstack
channel, where few people with answers have any incentive to hang
out, so it's unsurprising that you at best hear crickets there. This
mailing list is a converged communication channel also used by
people working on the software, and so I see far more questions
posted here getting answered as a result.

> There is a great community here and the user support is fragmented.

People are also already asking and sometimes answering questions on
StackOverflow, Reddit, Slack, and so on. Adding a web forum on top
of the existing options for places to ask questions seems likely to
lead to even more fragmentation (perhaps you have suggestions for
how to address that challenge?). I apologize if I seem overly
skeptical, but after more than a decade of trying things and then
seeing people propose the same things that didn't work before, I've
become quite cautious of such offers.
--
Jeremy Stanley