Combining Upgrades: Experience and Information

Denis Krienbühl denis at href.ch
Wed Feb 1 08:16:27 UTC 2023

Hi

We’re running Rocky at work, deployed using OpenStack Ansible, and would like to upgrade to something a lot more current. We are currently researching the best way to accomplish this.

Apart from doing upgrades one by one, we are looking into combining upgrades. Say by upgrading from Rocky to Ussuri, then upgrading Ubuntu 18.04 to 20.04, followed by Ussuri to Yoga.

I found some information about this here, but it’s not a lot:

* https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Fast_forward_upgrades
* https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Oath_FFU_Juno_To_Ocata
* https://www.9bitwizard.eu/liberty-to-newton

Would you know of any other experiences, articles, talks about this?

If you combined upgrades in the past, how was your experience, and how many upgrades did you combine together?

Thanks for your reply,

Denis