[SDK][CLI][API][OpenAPI] Machine readable OpenStack API spec - time to do a next step?

Artem Goncharov artem.goncharov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 16:36:47 UTC 2023

> Just an fyi we have jsonschema schmas stored in python dicts for every
> api in nova
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/4490c8bc8461a56a96cdaa08020c9e25ebe8f087/nova/api/openstack/compute/schemas/migrate_server.py#L38-L74
>
> we use them in our api tests with eh API scamples which are use both
> as test and to generate docs
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/tree/master/doc/api_samples/server-migrations
>
> every time we make an api change we add an api sample and add a secma
> for that micorversion.
>
> These schemas are also use in the api to validate the requests
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/api/openstack/compute/migrate_server.py#L84-L90
>
> so a lot of the data (boht on the spec  side an confromance side)
> exits but not in a form that is directly  usabel to export openapi
> formated documents.

Thanks Sean, I know that and because of that I mentioned that nova is already using jsonschema. That is more or less exactly the point that I want to have a discussion on making this standard by the projects and do this generally with the openapi spec instead of bunch of unconnected schemas so that our own lives become hopefully easier.