[elections][Cinder] PTL Candidacy for 2024.1 (Caracal)

Rajat Dhasmana rdhasman at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 14:17:17 UTC 2023

Hi All,

I would like to nominate myself to be Cinder PTL during the 2024.1 (Caracal)
cycle.

I have been the Cinder PTL for the last 3 cycles namely Zed, 2023.1
(Antelope) and
2023.2 (Bobcat). Few of the notable things we achieved in the past cycle
are:

** OpenStack Client and SDK work: *We started two efforts in parallel:
** Migrate OSC commands to SDK[1]
** Add support of missing operations in SDK[2]

We are making good progress in this area but looking at the work items[3],
this effort will span across
the next couple of cycles to be completed.

** Security Vulnerabilities:* We were able to address a major security
vulnerability CVE-2023-2088
that prevents end users to delete volume attachments directly leaving left
over devices on compute
hosts resulting in data leaks.

** Transition from EM to Unmaintained: *We noticed the inactive
contribution in extended maintenance
branches and the need to fix gate issues from time to time. Also the
project team is responsible to merge
changes into these EM branches. After the recent CVE-2023-2088 wasn't
proposed to EM branches, it
was clear that the efforts were not worth the outcome so the Cinder team
initiated a discussion regarding
EOLing the current EM branches. There is a resolution from TC to migrate EM
to unmaintained branches[4].

** Outreachy Mentorship: *We had a successful quarter of outreachy
internship from May-August 2023 with
2 interns, Desire and Toheeb. They were able to get a good amount of work
done on the project
"Automating generation of api-ref samples".

** Review bandwidth and quality:* We have been able to maintain good
quantity and quality of reviews
from contributors contributing from different organizations.

Here are some work items we are planning for the next cycle (2024.1):

* We still lack review bandwidth since one of our active cores, Sofia,
couldn't contribute to Cinder anymore
hence we will be looking out for potential core reviewers.
* Continue working on migrating from cinderclient to OSC (and SDK) support.
* Continue with the current cinder events like festival of XS reviews,
midcycle, video meeting once a month etc
that provides regular team interaction and helps tracking and discussion of
ongoing work throughout the cycle.

[1] https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:cinderclient-sdk-migration
[2] https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:cinder-sdk-gap
[3]