[kolla] [train] [cinder] Cinder issues during controller replacement

Albert Braden ozzzo at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 29 13:52:22 UTC 2023

We’re replacing controllers, and it takes a few hours to build the new controller. We’re following this procedure to remove the old controller: https://docs.openstack.org/kolla-ansible/train/user/adding-and-removing-hosts.html

 After that the cluster seems to run fine on 2 controllers, but approximately 1/3 of our volumes can’t be attached to a VM. When we look at those volumes, we see this:

| os-vol-host-attr:host          | qde4-ctrl1.cloud.ourdomain.com at rbd-1#rbd-1                            |

Ctrl1 is the controller that is being replaced. Is it possible to change the os-vol-host-attr on a volume? How can we work around this issue while we are replacing controllers? Do we need to disable the API for the duration of the replacement process, or is there a better way?