Live migration between centos and ubuntu compute nodes

Jim Kilborn jim at kilborns.com
Fri Aug 25 16:33:14 UTC 2023

Openstack peers:

I am migrating our production openstack environment from centos7 to ubuntu.
I am on the train release currently, so I can have that release on both centos7 and ubuntu 18
The issue is that I need to live migrate the vms if it's possible.

When I try, I get an error on the source compute node (centos 7).

Live Migration failure: Cannot check QEMU binary /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm: No such file or directory: libvirtError: Cannot check QEMU binary /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm: No such file or directory

Any ideas how to get around this until I get my vms migrated? Maybe create a link on the ubuntu 18 host?
I'm sure I am not the first to leave centos 7 for ubuntu

Thanks for any help on this.