[ptls][tc] OpenStack User Survey Updates

Nell Jerram nell at tigera.io
Wed Aug 23 09:45:31 UTC 2023

On Wed, 23 Aug 2023, 10:09 Slawek Kaplonski, <skaplons at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> it’s the most beneficial to the community to get the most accurate
> representation possible.
>

> > If that means adding a second question like Slawek proposes, we can make
> that work. I would just need to know how the answer choices very by
> question. If y’all can provide that, I can make that update.
>
> So those old core plugins were completly dropped (removed from neutron
> repo) in Neutron 8.0.0 (Mitaka). In 7.0.0 (Liberty) most of them were
> removed but not all. In Mitaka all except ML2 and Hyper-v was deleted
> already.
>
> To have most accurate representation possible and if we can split it into
> two questions then we would like it to be be like:
>
> 1. Which OpenStack Network (Neutron) *core plugin* are you using?
>
>     A10 Networks
>
>     Arista
>
>     Big Switch
>
>     Brocade / Broadcom
>
>     Calico
>
>     Cisco UCS / Nexus
>
>     Embrane
>
>     Extreme Networks
>
>     Hyper-V
>
>     IBM SDN-VE
>
>     Linux Bridge
>
>     Mellanox
>
>     Meta Plugin
>
>     MidoNet
>
>     Modular Layer 2 Plugin (ML2)
>
>     NEC OpenFlow
>
>     nova-network
>
>     OpenDaylight
>
>     Nuage Networks
>
>     One Convergence NVSD
>
>     OpenContrail or Juniper
>
>     Open vSwitch
>
>     PLUMgrid
>
>     Ruijie Networks
>
>     VMWare NSX (formerly Nicira NVP)
>
> 2. If You choose *Modular Layer 2 Plugin (ML2)* in the previous question,
> what mechanism driver(s) are You using?
>
>     Alcatel-Lucent Omniswitch
>
>     Arista
>
>     Big Switch
>
>     Brocade VDX/VCS
>
>     Calico
>
>     Cisco APIC
>
>     Cisco DFA
>
>     Cloudbase Hyper-V
>
>     Freescale SDN
>
>     Frescale FWaaS
>
>     Fujitsu Converged Fabric Switch
>
>     Huawei Agile Controller
>
>     Linux Bridge
>
>     Mellanox
>
>     Mellanox SR-IOV
>
>     MidoNet
>
>     Nuage Networks
>
>     ONOS
>
>     One Convergence
>
>     OpenDaylight
>
>     OpenFlow Agent
>
>     Open vSwitch
>
>     OVN
>
>     SR-IOV
>
>     Pluribus
>
>     Tail-F
>
>     VMWare DVS
>
>     Other Mechanism Driver
>
> Please let me know if that would be fine for You too. Thx in advance

For what it's worth, I agree that that is a better way to ask these
questions, compared with the previous arrangement.

I wonder, though, if we might simplify further by glossing over the core
plugin vs. ML2 driver distinction?

- On the users' side, is it possible that some respondents wouldn't be sure
of this detail, and so would find the survey harder to complete?

- On the developers' side, does anyone really care if a networking solution
is being used as a core plugin instead of as an ML2 driver, or vice versa?

(I can confirm that Calico continues to be available out-of-tree both as a
core plugin and as an ML2 mechanism driver.)

Best wishes - Nell